Re: lisp package for tracking changes made within a document

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: lisp package for tracking changes made within a document
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:33:06 -0000

Po-Tai Cheng <ptcheng@gmail.com> writes:

> Folks,
> I am now editing a draft LaTeX document with other co-authors of the
> paper. Is there any lisp package that can show what I deleted from and
> what I add into the document? This can help my co-authors to
> understand better what I edited.

M-x diff RET
M-x ediff RET
M-x ediff3 RET

In particular, ediff3 is useful to compare changes made at the same time
by coworkers:

                      /   \
                     B     C

>From a source document A, coworker b produces document B, and coworker c
produces document C.  ediff3 allows you to see what changes were made by
each, and allows you to interactively merge a new version of the
document with changes from either or both of the coworkers.
You need to keep around the original document A to do this of course,
otherwise you will have to use ediff-merge.