Re: setting font size

From: despen
Subject: Re: setting font size
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:13 -0000

"Russ P." <russ.paielli@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 2, 2:54 pm, des...@verizon.net wrote:
>>
>> > Here is another little thing that bothers me about Emacs, and this one
>> > is probably my own little pecadillo. XEmacs has a nice little pull-
>> > down menu item for setting the font size directly. Emacs apparently
>> > does not have that, so I have to sit and try to guess how to do it. I
>> > knew a few weeks ago, but I forgot. But the point is, why should I
>> > have to remember? Why not just make it simple, as in XEmacs?
>>
>> Options->Set Default Font.
>>
>> You can pick the Font, Style and Size.
>
> Whoops! I don't know how I missed that!
>
> I'm still a bit confused. If I understand it correctly, I need to
> select both a font and a size. Is there a simple way to just change
> the size of the existing font without having to select it in the list?
> It seems that there should be. Or it should come up on the current
> font automatically, but it doesn't seem to do that as far as I can
> tell.

I think it does come up with the current font, provided you've
previously specified the font in a way it can understand.

What I've been using is:

      (set-default-font "10x20")

Emacs comes up with a menu that says "Sans" "Regular" "10"
so it doesn't have a clue.

10x20 is sans, but it's also bold (although not called bold) and
it's "20", not "10".

When I switch to "9x15bold", it still doesn't know anything changed.