Re: condition-case

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: condition-case
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:34:10 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 20:40:23 +0100 "Pascal J. Bourguignon"
> <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
>
> PJB> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:17:11 +0100 "Pascal J. Bourguignon"
>>> <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
>>>
> PJB> First, you should forget about condition-case, and use instead
> PJB> handler-case.
>>>
>>> (defmacro omitted and newsgroups trimmed)
>>>
>>> I only see it mentioned in lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-indent.el for indentation
>>> settings, but the macro is not defined anywhere AFAICT.  Is there a
>>> reason it's not part of Emacs?
>
> PJB> Emacs lisp was designed before or at the same time Common Lisp became a
> PJB> standard.
>
> I mean *today* why shouldn't `handler-case' be part of Emacs?  Is there
> anything blocking its inclusion in cl.el?

It's up to cl.el developers.

On the other hand, while I would find it valuable make emacs lisp more
of a Common Lisp, at one time you have to make the jump and be Common
Lisp.  Bar that, there is emacs-cl (http://www.lisp.se/emacs-cl/), a
Common Lisp implementation written in emacs lisp, which unfortunately
would need some love, but which allows to write emacs commands in Common
Lisp.  And there are the various emacsen written in Common Lisp, but
they would need either an implementation of emacs lisp to benefit from
emacs legacy code, or a static tool to translate from emacs lisp to
Common Lisp.