RE: Adding a sublist to a list on startup

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Adding a sublist to a list on startup
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 06:52:29 -0800

> > M-x debug-on-entry RET my-LaTeX-hook RET
> >
> > Then use `d' to step through the function. You can use `e'
> > at any time to evaluate something (e.g. `LaTeX-env-item').  That should
> > show you what the problem is.
>
> Finally got round to trying this. I can use e to evaluate items, but d
> gives me an error at the top of the buffer:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot return from the
> debugger in an error")
> Which I take to mean there is some error in the hook?

That error message is shown if you try to hit `d' or `c' _after_ an error has
already occurred.  If it happens for the _first_ `d' or `c' you hit in the
debugger, then you should already see an error message (at the top) upon entry.

In that case, look up the backtrace stack (i.e. down the buffer) to see which
function raised the error, and debug that function instead (`debug-on-entry').

The point is that you can use `d' to step through a function, but once you hit
an error you can no longer step (where would it step?).