Trouble typing extended characters with emacsclient

From: Steve Revilak
Subject: Trouble typing extended characters with emacsclient
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:41:33 -0500

I'm hoping that one of you could help me with an emacsclient problem.

When I start emacs as "emacs -Q -nw", I can use the Compose key to
type extended characters.  For example the key sequence

  <Compose> " u

produces the character "ü".

I cannot get the same behavior with emacsclient. Specifically, if I
start emacs in daemon mode

  emacs -Q --daemon

and use "emacsclient myfile.txt", then typing the <Compose> sequence
above gives "C<" (two characters), rather than ü.

How does one type extended characters with emacsclient?

I've observed the same behavior with emacs 23.2 and 23.2.91.  I'm
using OpenSUSE 11.3 with KDE 4.4.4.

Thanks in advance.

Steve