synchronous network communication?

From: chris
Subject: synchronous network communication?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:15:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi there,

I am trying to talk to a server over a telnet like protocol, using
open-network-stream like so:
* first open the stream:
(setq redis (open-network-stream "*redis*" buffer host port))

* All works well and I can talk to the process like so:

(process-send-string
 redis
 (format(concat
         "hgetall "
         (buffer-substring-no-properties beg end)
         "\r\n"

and find the results in my buffer.  However, this is an asynchronous
communication and if the answer takes a while, my code might try to
deal with the answer before it is ready.  So my question is:  is there
a way to do this communication in an asynchronous manner?  I looked
through the docs but could not find anything.

Any help appreciated,

Chris