Re: How to get web browsing functionality in emacs 23?

From: guivho
Subject: Re: How to get web browsing functionality in emacs 23?
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:18:51 +0100

 Tim,

> Note that you should be very careful about running scripts inside
> eshell. While eshell is a great interactive shell, it is not a fully
> compliant shell. For example, it does not handle IO redirection. Many
> scripts use such techniques and will not run correctly. To make it
> worse, it will fail silently. Either use M-x
> shell, M-x term or run outside of emacs.

As the Romans said, 'Experto Crede Roberto', you are very right. An
example of a task that fails from within eshell is MacPort activity ran
as 'sudo port'.

And I must admit that sometimes I am bitten by this before remembering
that there are those cases where our beloved eshell just doen't cut it
and shell is needed.

Thanks for reminding me,

Guivho