Re: possible `with-current-buffer' bug

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: possible `with-current-buffer' bug
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 20:10:31 +0800

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
How short is "pretty short"?  It should be 32K if we invoke commands
directly, or 8K if we do that through a Windows shell (which should
only happen if there's a pipe in the command).

Actually maybe not that short.  The string with all the filenames is 38k characters.  I'm not sure when exactly grep starts failing, but it takes 2 invocations of grep to process that string, so 32k sounds entirely plausible.  I'm using cygwin grep with NTEmacs with "c:\cygwin\bin\zsh.exe" as my shell, if that's relevant.

Since I already have the list of files, doing grep this way is really fast.  I don't expect this is a use-case that comes up often for everyone, but if anyone looks for something similar in the future, hopefully this helps.

Also, despite what I've implied, Emacs' grep family of functions have very good support for whitespaces.  Sorry about the confusion.

--
Le