Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 21:19:27 -0800

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Cthun <cthun_117@qmail.net.au> wrote:

> The other option is auto-save to some temporary file, or a sequence of
> numbered files. Of course if you have a power outage or something now you
> have to go hunting for where the darn thing saved these. Depending, they may

More likely, the editor will just ask you if you want to recover the
auto-saved version the next time you open the file.  (Or do what Emacs
does, which is open the file normally but display a message suggesting
you execute "M-x recover-this-file".)

> even be vulnerable to being erased by an automatic temp file cleanup script
> before you get to them.

If you choose to run such a script, I would recommend using one that
only deletes files that are several days old.

> Sequences of numbered files used to risk filling up the filesystem, too, but
> not with text files in this day and age.

If you're concerned about that, customize kept-old-versions and/or
kept-new-versions to manage the number of backup versions that are
saved.

-PJ