Re: Is this correct?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Is this correct?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 01:50:08 -0700

On 2/25/11 11:54 PM, Tim X wrote:

I'm currently on a big bug fix cycle. Some of the bugs I'm trying to fix
relate to menus and I've noticed some code which I'm not convinced is
"correct" based on the documentation. I'd like some
feedback from others as I suspect it is something I am missing or don't
understand.

force-mode-line-update has the following documentation -

,----[ C-h f force-mode-line-update RET ]
| force-mode-line-update is a compiled Lisp function in `subr.el'.
|
| (force-mode-line-update&optional ALL)
|
| Force redisplay of the current buffer's mode line and header line.
| With optional non-nil ALL, force redisplay of all mode lines and
| header lines.  This function also forces recomputation of the
| menu bar menus and the frame title.
|
| [back]
`----

Before digging into the details of whether the code implements the behavior
described in the doc string, do we understand the doc string?

* What if the current buffer is not displayed?

* Does ALL mean all buffers?  All windows?  All visible windows?  All frames?
  All visible frames?  Or some other interpretation?

* The menu bar and frame title are frame-local, right?  If so, I think that
  would imply that force-mode-line-update should by default (when ALL is nil)
  update all displayed buffers in the current frame, and should update all
  displayed buffers on all frames (when ALL is non-nil).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA