Re: emacs as an XML editor

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: emacs as an XML editor
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 19:33:40 +0100

> Hi there,
> I'm searching a way to use Emacs as an xml editor. What I need is:
> 1. a bit of syntax highlight

nxml-mode can do that.
  http://www.thaiopensource.com/nxml-mode/

Part of emacs24, I think.  Also available from ELPA
  http://tromey.com/elpa/

(ELPA install works on windows emacs as well)

> 2. validation against an XSD scheme

Nope.  nnxml-mode only does Relax-NG (actually RNC, ie. the "compact"
notation).

But an utility named trang can convert from XSD to RNG
  http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

(trang is written in Java and so should work on windows)

Note that if you are writing the schema yourself, then writing a schema
in Relax-NG is a _lot_ nicer than writing an XSD schema.  And you can
use trang to create an xsd schema from the Relax-NG schema.

> 3. some code completion if the XSD scheme is provided

Nope.  But code competion against the RNG schema is provided.

> 4. the possibility to run some XPath queries on the document

Nope.