Re: Indenting paragraphs manually

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: Indenting paragraphs manually
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 17:58:53 +0000

On 3/5/2011 8:26 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:

What I see:
  - The selected lines are not not moved at all.
  - The region is deactivated.

Please, could someone explain this? Am I missing something?  (I guess I
am, and that's why I'm posting to help-gnu-emacs instead of
bug-gnu-emacs)

The region getting deactivated is part of the design. Funny that nobody seems to have mentioned it. Most operations that make use of the active mark deactivate it. You have to activate it again if you want to repeat some operation. C-xC-x is a good way of doing so.

The selected lines not moving seems to be a bug in the development version. In the current release, 23.2, the lines are moving the first time, but they are moving correctly a second time. So, that is buggy as well. Sigh...

In any case, the traditional way of moving a region of text is to use `indent-rigidly' (C-x TAB). You can give it a prefix argument, e.g., M-10, to say indent 10 spaces.

Cheers,
Uday