Re: Change C-d binding from delete-char to backward-delete-char-untabify

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Change C-d binding from delete-char to backward-delete-char-untabify
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:10:45 +0200

2011/4/7 B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net>:
> I notice that I use both of these functions in my .emacs:
>
> global-set-key
> define-key global-map
>
> Is it enough to make the new binding with either of these or does the
> default binding have to be unbound first? What is the difference between
> using those two methods? Can I then use the same method to bind
> [backspace] to delete-char?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

The definition of global-set-key is basically:

(define-key (current-global-map) key command)

`current-global-map' is a function which simply returns the current
global keymap. The global keymap is set using
`use-global-keymap'. When you use (define-key global-map ...) you're
making a binding in the default global keymap, not necessarily the one
currently being used.

At least that's how I understand it...

--
Deniz Dogan