Re: How to make emacs path aware on MacOSX

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: How to make emacs path aware on MacOSX
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:58:47 -0500

On Apr 13, 2011, at 7:14 AM, Young, Ed wrote:

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this. If so please redirect me.

I am running emacs on MacOSX, installed from a DMG file.

It works great, but it is not aware of my path, so I can't execute commands like 'git' or 'svn' etc.

How can I configure it to be aware of my path. I'm using the global path variable file /etc/profile.

The Finder on the Mac (that starts emacs) doesn't look at /etc/profile, etc.  For a particular user, it does look at ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

Its a "property list" thing that is normal for Mac settings.  You can find it documented more on Mac forums and those kinds of places.

e.g. http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa1067/_index.html

If you are talking about shells started within emacs, thats a different matter.

HTH,
pedz