Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:21 -0000

On Wed, 2011-04-27, haziz wrote:

> I use emacs as my main IDE for programming in C. I am exploring ways
> of configuring emacs to function more as an IDE rather than as a
> simple text editor.

Emacs *isn't* a simple text editor. But it works differently from
whatever IDE you are used to.

> Of course I want syntax highlighting

(global-font-lock-mode 1)
if it isn't already enabled by default.

> and preferably some code completion.

M-x dabbrev-expand
or
M-/

Not quite code completion, but more general and IMO more useful.

> I also want separate buffers to allow shell commands and to M-x
> compile.

These exist already. M-x compile opens a buffer if needed; before that
you don't need it.

> I want it to open into this
> multi-buffer form automatically when visiting a C source file, rather
> than having to launch each buffer separately.

I get the feeling you have other requirements which I haven't
understood yet.  Doing one 'M-x shell' doesn't seem to me like
something that has to be automated.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .