Re: Cannot print with emacs

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Cannot print with emacs
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 23:31:35 +0200

Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 04:22:34PM +0200, Rasmus wrote:
>> Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> writes:
>>
>> > I see. I never used that for my Lexmark T520 Duplex Laser Printer.
>> > I always provide the LEXT520.PPD file which I've downloaded many years
>> > ago from a Lexmark site.
>>
>> I think I have used both a PPD provided by Lexmark and a generic Post
>> Script driver.
>>
>> > No, something is wrong with my present emacs on several machines.
>> > As I cannot find out I better give up. I suppose it will work the next
>> > time when I reinstall _all_ ports.
>>
>> Try to start Emacs without loading config files (emacs -q). If the
>> problem persists it is probably not Emacs-centric but related to your
>> print server (CUPS). If it persists bisec your config file(s).
>
> Sorry, Rasmus, for this long pause.
> I was sort of far away from keyboard for a while.
>
> The command `M-x print-buffer' (which I never used before, I must
> apologize) does work fine with or without the config file.
> In a sense, Peter's out-of-the-box remark is correct provided that lpr
> is symlinked to /usr/local/bin/lpr.
> That means that the CUPS print server is alright.
>
> It's the Printing package (2 lines in .emacs without any customization)
> which does not work.
> It produces a Postscript file and puts the printer in a "900 Service
> RIP Software" error state (the printer must be restarted).
> Running ``lpr <the said Postscript file>'' has exactly the same effect.
> The bug seems to be in the generated Postscript file.
> Please note that the Postscript Preview is perfect!

I have always relied on CUPS and I don't know the cli programs all too
well.

However, I experienced a similar problem, as I may or may not have
stated earlier. This was a PS error as well, although in my case the
printer just printed a page with an error message.

The way I solved it was by switching driver in CUPS. Maybe there is
something fishy about PS support in Lexmark printers? I honestly lack a
truely exhausting answer.

I hope you'll get it working.

–Rasmus

PS: A temporary solution would be to set cups-pdf as default printer
(e.g. lpoptions -d cups_pdf) and print the pdf manually.

--
Sent from my Emacs