Re: Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 14:08:59 -0500

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Harry> I've never really understood the term `widget'.  Do you mean
> Harry> something in the gui menus at the top of emacs?  Or do you just
> Harry> mean the customization tools?
>
> I mean the checkbox and edit field next to the label "Font Family" you
> get when you do "M-x customize-face".

Thanks.. fc-list shows:

  fc-list  |grep -i incons

  Inconsolata:style=Medium

And fc-list -v shows:

        family: "Inconsolata"(s)
        fullname: "Inconsolata"(s)
        file: "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-[...]

So that nails down the family... is there no `foundry'? (the next
question on the widget list)

But any way, when I set default font `Family' to Inconsolata and
save.  When I reopen emacs, that saved customization has disappeared
and adobe courier comes up in its place.  I commented out any font
related stuff in .Xdefaults for testing so the setting of:
-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-90-iso8859-1

Must be some kind of system default... or maybe an emacs default.

Someone on another list suggested I put this in .Xdefaults:

 emacs.FontBackend:   xft
 Emacs.font:      Inconsolata-12

(I am running xfs and xfstt servers)

Doing that, then starting emacs-24 from command line I get:
  `Font `Inconsolata-12 ' is not defined'

Same error if use Inconsolata-medium