Re: Gnus: Sending email from an IMAP account: "Process smtpmail not runn

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gnus: Sending email from an IMAP account: "Process smtpmail not running"
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:56:42 +0100

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> With the (great) help of Tassilo Horn, I was able to set up gnus to
> read email with an IMAP account

Thanks for the compliments. :-)

> At the moment, I try to set it up to *send* email, but I receive
> "Process smtpmail not running".

For sending mail, you need to configure Gnus to use some SMTP server
(unless you have some working sendmail running) like this:

  (setq send-mail-function         'smtpmail-send-it
        message-send-mail-function 'message-smtpmail-send-it
        smtpmail-smtp-server       "smtp.gmail.com")

> In ~/.authinfo, I specified the login details as follows:
> machine imap.googlemail.com login my.name@googlemail.com port imaps password
> machine mail.uni.edu login mylogin port imaps password ....

You probably need to add

  machine smtp.gmail.com login my.name@googlemail.com port imaps password ....

as well.

I'm not sure if gmail's smtp allows relaying, i.e., sending mail when
you use your "uni.edu" mail address in the From header.  If it doesn't,
try if your university's smtp allows it.  If not, you need to add some
customization for selecting the right server dynamically when sending
mail.  I think, that's documented somewhere on EmacsWiki.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not