Re: Strange eshell find-file issue for new files

From: Guido Van Hoecke
Subject: Re: Strange eshell find-file issue for new files
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:53:16 +0100

Hi Peter

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 18:18, Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter.
>
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 16:43, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 7.1.2012 um 14:44 schrieb Guido Van Hoecke:
>
>>> I'd really like to understand what's happening, and more importantly,
>>> find out how this can be fixed.
>
>> Is the behaviour the same when you launch GNU Emacs without
>> customisation? I.e., with --no-site-file and/or with --no-init-file
>> (-q) and finally -Q?
>
> No, it isn't. I know I should have walked along this trail, but I just
> hoped it would trigger some fellow emacser's memory.
>
> Well, I'll selectively disable parts of my configuration files till I hit
> the culprit.

Well I found the culprit: it is the defadvice for the openwith-file
handler found at
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander_Tips#toc4

Without this defadvice entering 'f new-file' in eshell just creates a
buffer for this not yet existing new-file, as does C-x C-f.

With the defadvice, it merely prints 'Input file opened' and no buffer
is created.

This may well be related to the versions of emacs and openwith.el.
Emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2011-12-13 on bob.porkrind.org

openwith.el version: openwith-version "0.8f"

Well, not recording files opened with external programs is not really a
big deal for me. I'm quite happy that I found the cause of the find-file
failure for new files. That's far more important to me.

Kind Regards,

Guido

--
... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of

http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!