Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:21:34 -0500

On 2/3/2012 3:52 PM, Silvio Levy wrote:
Yes, X11 forwarding is clearly not the way to go.  But why not open
files on the remote server using TRAMP which comes with emacs?

In my case, the answer is that editing files is only part of what I do
remotely. I keep an ssh window open on the remote host anyway; it
makes little sense to then use a *local* invocation of emacs to open a
remote file (with the corresponding overhead of transfer protocols,
mimencode and all that jazz).

Conceptually, too, it's cleaner if each of my (color-coded) text
windows is acting on a single host.

TRAMP sounds terrific, but it seems to be meant for a different sort
of workflow.

Yes. Your work flow works if you have an account on the remote machine, if the machine has emacs, and if the bandwidth and latency are adequate.

If any of these are false, tramp is the solution - pull the file over, edit locally, and send it back when you're done.