RE: Problems evaluating p4.el

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Problems evaluating p4.el
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:26:08 -0700

> But the version I have been using is one I
> byte-compiled a long time ago. If I download the "latest" version
> (which is from 2006) and try to byte-compile (or even evaluate it), my
> Emacs 23.4.1 just hangs in the middle of processing it. Even if I load
> Emacs with -Q.
>
> Anyone else use p4.el and does it evaluate for you? Any ideas
> on how to debug the problem?

I know nothing about p4.el, but maybe this will help anyway:

1. Concentrate on the source file first, not on byte-compiling it or
(especially) using an old byte-compiled version.  The only "processing" of the
file you should care about at first is (a) loading it and then (b) getting it to
do what it is supposed to do.

If Emacs hangs when just trying to load the source file then diagnose that
problem first.  If you can load it OK but it hangs when you try to use it, then
diagnose that problem.

2. To diagnose a load problem, select the first half of the source file and do
`M-x evaluate-region'.  If that hangs, then start over and select only the first
quarter of the file.  If that hangs, try the first 1/8th.

Keep trying to evaluate more or less code in the file, always starting with the
top of the file and narrowing things down until you find the first occurrence of
whatever causes the hang.

3. If it loads OK but hangs when you use it, make note of how you invoke it
(which Emacs command or whatever).  Then use `M-x debug-on-entry' for the
function that causes the problem.  Step through the debugger using `d' (or `c'
to skip a step), and note which evaluation causes Emacs to hang.

4. Report what you find here or, if you already think you see an Emacs bug,
using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.