Re: Upgrading suggestions

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Upgrading suggestions
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:27:16 -0000

In article <8739ejqcsf.fsf@notengoamigos.org>,
Jason Earl  <jearl@notengoamigos.org> wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 23 2011, David Combs wrote:
>
>> In article <87fwj8tadw.fsf@notengoamigos.org>,
>> Jason Earl  <jearl@notengoamigos.org> wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>I think that the best way to deal with this is to run a version of Emacs
>>>straight out of bzr.  Not only does this get you the newest toys before
>>>everyone else, but it also allows you access to the new configuration
>>>changes and such piecemeal instead of having to make a big jump from one
>>>version to the next.
>>>
>>>If something does break your configuration, you can even complain on
>>>emacs-devel while the issue is still fresh on the developers mind.
>>>
>>>Jason
>>
>> What is "bzr"?   (A misspelled ".bz"?)
>>
>> And where is this early version located?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> David
>
>bzr is the version control system that the Emacs project uses.
>
>http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/
>
>To get a copy of the Emacs trunk in a folder named "emacs-devel" you
>would do (after installing bzr):
>
>bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk emacs-devel
>
>For more information there is a wiki page here:
>
>http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
>
>Basically I am encouraging you to use the development version of Emacs.
>It is much snazzier than the released version, and if the Emacs
>developers break your configuration you are in a good position to tell
>them about it.
>
>Jason

Thanks -- and sorry for the delay.

Probably stupid question, but not knowing bzr, nor willing to learn
much about it (because I don't hack Emacs sources), where do I find
a dev-version.tar.gz (or bz2) that I can download and then do the
usual configure and make, just as I would (attempt) with the
currently-released version?

And, would it have a fairly up-to-date NEWS, etc?

---------------------

OK, I assume the above suggestion (use the dev version) applies to
Linux, Solaris, et al.

Now, what about on Windows (xp)?

Is anyone currently creating a downloadable windows version, already
compiled, linked, etc, that is fairly up-to-date with the dev-version?

If so, where could I get that from?

(I use both Solaris 10 Sparc and also a pc running xp -- man, that
Emacs makes using the pc *possible* (for me)  And maybe the biggest
Emacs contrbution to xp usability is DIRED!  (and also virtual-dired --
what a life saver!))

THANKS SO MUCH!

David

(sorry for the typos -- am on vacation, and don't have a sun keyboard
with me, which is what I use on the pc back home.)