Re: Emacs crashes when I try to quit

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Emacs crashes when I try to quit
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 20:44:44 +0200

Am 10.4.2012 um 10:26 schrieb Giant Y:

> I encountered a problem that Emacs crashes when I try to exit the program.
> Any of C-x C-c, File -> Quit, and using the mouse to close the program
> leads to the problem.

You can put

        (setq debug-on-error t)

into your init file to get possibly a *Backtrace* buffer which might explain
the cause. Restart GNU Emacs after this change!

You can investigate further the value of the variables site-run-file and
user-init-file. Then determine which files in the file system are actually
used. Now you can temporarily rename site-run-file and see whether something
has changed. If yes, than the site-run-file is the culprit. If not, then undo
the renaming and now rename your own init file and test again. If this has
changed the behaviour, then in your init some statement causes the problem. Now
you can undo the renaming and try bi-secting your init file to find the
culpable statement. Bi-secting means to comment one half and see whether the
fault has. If it has gone, then it is in the commented half. You can undo the
commenting and comment only one half of what was commented before. When the
error is gone, then it's in the commented region. Uncomment and then comment
one half of what was commented previously. New test. Iterate further.
If the error was not gone with the first commenting, then it is in the second
not commented half. So undo the first commenting and comment the first half of
the second half, i.e., the third quarter of your init file. Error gone? Then
it's in the commented region, otherwise it is in the uncommented quarter.
Further iterate.

In the end you'll find the statement that cause the problem.

--
Greetings

  Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
  B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
 66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

 and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.