Re: Is it possible to run rgrep in emacs on Win32?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it possible to run rgrep in emacs on Win32?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:04:46 +0300

> From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:03:26 +0200

> > You will be much better off, including with other ports of GNU/Unix
> > software, if you just put them all on PATH.  I see no good reason for
> > keeping them in a directory that is not on PATH.
>
> The cmd.exe on my development box have their own utilities with the same
> names and different argument, and I don't want to confuse other
> utilities in my development environment (which I don't control myself).
> Things might stop building because I want rgrep in Gnus.

There's more than one way of cutting this cake.

You could create a special batch file that modifies PATH before it
runs Emacs.  You can then make the desktop shortcut which runs Emacs
run that batch file instead.  Or you could invoke the batch file
manually from a command shell before running Emacs from that shell.
You can even have a separate shortcut for starting a special-purpose
cmd.exe window, which starts by running that batch file (via the "cmd
/k foo.bat" feature).

I think one of these methods could fit your workflow without adversely
affecting those other utilities.