Re: Is it possible to run rgrep in emacs on Win32?

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Is it possible to run rgrep in emacs on Win32?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:03:26 +0200

> You will be much better off, including with other ports of GNU/Unix
> software, if you just put them all on PATH.  I see no good reason for
> keeping them in a directory that is not on PATH.

The cmd.exe on my development box have their own utilities with the same
names and different argument, and I don't want to confuse other
utilities in my development environment (which I don't control myself).
Things might stop building because I want rgrep in Gnus.

> Not every program called by Emacs has a user option that allows you to
> spell out its full absolute file name.

I know.  I was very happy to find out that grep.el did.

> (FWIW, I have a single `bin' directory into which I put _all_ the
> programs and DLLs that do not come with Windows out of the box, and
> that directory is very near the beginning of PATH.  I have yet to see
> a single use case where this arrangement failed me, be it in Emacs or
> elsewhere.  So this is what I recommend to others, unless there are
> _very_ good reasons not to use this setup.)

Yes.  It's what I would do on a box completely under my control.