Re: Emacs Remote Python Interpreters

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs Remote Python Interpreters
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 18:21:46 +0200

Matt McClure <matthewlmcclure@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Matt,

> I think TRAMP is probably my best option right now. One problem with
> using Python via TRAMP is python.el's dependency on emacs.py. When I
> do M-x run-python from a TRAMP buffer, I get:
>
>     >>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>     ImportError: No module named emacs
>     >>>

> because python.el assumes it can add a local filesystem path to
> PYTHONPATH and load emacs.py from there, whereas the python process
> actually runs on the remote host when I start it from a TRAMP buffer.

Hmm, maybe you could put emacs.py somewhere on the remote host. Then you
must instruct Tramp the remote PYTHONPATH, like

(add-to-list 'tramp-remote-process-environment
             "PYTHONPATH=/path/where/emacs.py/is/located")

> Emacs has `M-x pdb` for Python. As an aside, why is "pdb" the default
> value of gud-pdb-command-name rather than "python -m pdb"? The former
> gives "no such file or directory" whereas pdb.py is present everywhere
> I've looked, so the latter seems more reliable.

No idea why this is the default. But you can configure it, I guess.

Best regards, Michael.