emacs 24: select-active-regions behavior

From: Enrico Scholz
Subject: emacs 24: select-active-regions behavior
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 22:56:50 +0200

Hello,

after upgrading from Emacs-23 with pc-select-mode to Emacs-24 with its
builtin selection mode, I noticed some regressions.

Now with Emacs-24, a region which is selected by shift-<arrow-keys>
replaces the primary selection.  But with Emacs-23 I was able to:

1. copy something (select it + C-Ins),
2. shift-select another piece of text and
3. replace this piece of text by Shift-Ins with the text from 1.

With Emacs-24 this is a noop because text from 2. will be inserted into
the primary selection and replaces itself in 3.

I was partly successful to restore old behavior by setting
select-active-regions to nil. Unfortunately, this breaks selection by
mouse.  E.g. with Emacs-23 I could double/triple click in a text and
paste it by middle click into another window.  Now with Emacs-24, I have
to copy it explicitly with C-Ins which is non-intuitive and breaks usual
X11 semantics.

Hence:  is there a way to configure Emacs-24 so that:

a) shift-select does not replace primary selection (e.g. as when using
   C-Space selection), and

b) a double/triple mouse click replaces the primary selection?

Enrico