Re: autosave/backup file problem

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: autosave/backup file problem
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:52:38 -0400

In article <mailman.2895.1339792377.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Jannis <bt_jannis@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi emacs users,
>

> i have the problem that emacs creates
>
> .#filename.txt
>
> files in the directory file while working on a file. These files create
> problems when I want to automatically create Software packages of the
> parent folder.
>
> Is there any way to tell emacs to create these files in a different
> location?
>

> I have put the following in my .emacs file but it seems to not change
> the behaviour of the above mentioned files:
>

> ;; Put autosave files (ie #foo#) and backup files (ie foo~) in ~/.emacs.d/.
> (custom-set-variables
>    '(auto-save-file-name-transforms '((".*" "~/.emacs.d/autosaves/\\1" t)))
>    '(backup-directory-alist '((".*" . "~/.emacs.d/backups/"))))

Two problems:

1. custom-set-variables doesn't evaluate the value part of each argument
list, so you shouldn't have the inner quotes.

2. Your regexp for auto-save-file-name-transforms doesn't contain any
\\(...\\), so there's nothing for \\1 to be replaced with.  Use \\& to
substitute the entire matched string, or write a more complex regular
expression where \\1 picks up just the filename part of the pathname.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA