Re: Silently loading site files in -batch mode

From: Jack Kelly
Subject: Re: Silently loading site files in -batch mode
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 15:05:51 +1000

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM, PJ Weisberg <pj@irregularexpressions.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Jack Kelly <jack@jackkelly.name> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM, PJ Weisberg <pj@irregularexpressions.net>
>> wrote:

>>> $EMACS -Q --batch --eval "(push \"/path/to/bar\" load-path)" --eval
>>> "(load \"MY-FILE\" nil t)"
>>
>> Indeed. But now we've come full circle: I can either get quiet
>> can't easily get a change in before startup.el and get both.
>
> Which of Debian's weird startup changes does your code actually depend
> on?  Are you sure you aren't just trying to anticipate a problem that
> doesn't actually exist?

I am writing this as part of automake's elisp compilation refactoring
that's going on at the moment:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2012-07/msg00147.html
is the start of the relevant thread.

In an ideal world, we'd silence the loading messages to get proper
silent-rules support (like how compiling C code these days just prints
'CC foo.c' or whatever, unless there are errors or warnings). Because
the current elisp support calls emacs with -q, I'm hesitant to move to
-Q in case it causes breakage in obscure cases.

-- Jack