Re: Emacs and Java

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Emacs and Java
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:47:55 +0530

> People who want to improve Emacs support for IDE-like development
> environment with modern features are encouraged to make improvements
> and submit them, and generally work on improving them, rather than
> whine about Emacs being "slightly better than Notepad".  That kind of
> attitude will never get you any closer to your goal.

My feeling exactly.  There is a popular saying.
  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

There is also a sense of entitlement that is exhibited by users.  It is
surprising to find this attitude even among people who are NOT NEW to
FLOSS or it's mailing lists.

The problem is a lack of awareness of "What the goals of a particular
mode of organization is" or "How things work or what actually works in
this organization"?

I am using "organization" in it's broadest terms - "a voluntary
association of people".

I think a sense of entitlement shouldn't even be exhibited by members
who make annual subscription to FSF.  They have right *not* to renew
their subscription if they feel that their interests are not taken care
of.  If people stop donating stuff - membership fees, volunteer effort,
material/infrastructural stuff to FSF - then it's survival becomes
difficult if not impossible (even though the goals that FSF subscribes
to is needed for society in general)

I think world will be a better place if people show support or reject
support by concrete (strategic) action rather than voicing their
feelings and opinions.  (Note that voicing opinion in itself is *also* a
strategic action, but one who shouts should also consider whether he is
shouting alone, an empty room, a crowd etc.)

If people understand how "Carrot and Stick" works and use it to further
their own goals and the goals that they desire for community in general
then, I believe, goodness will grow and evil will subside.

Note that a single carrot or a stick would suffice to influence a single
horse.  But a sack of carrots or a mountain load of it is needed to
influence a herd.

I believe there is sufficient loyal crowd of Emacs users, I can swear
that it would take enormous effort for me *NOT* to use Emacs.  This
irrespective of whether Emacs lacks support for stuff I badly need.