Re: emacsclientw on w64

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: emacsclientw on w64
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 22:28:03 -0500

> On Monday, 1 October 2012 02:37:10 UTC+8, B. T. Raven  wrote:
>

>> No socket or alternate editor. Please use:
>>
>> EMACS_SERVER_FILE
>> and
>
> There is no "and" here.

Right you are. I was just saying there were two env. variables.

>> ALTERNATE_EDITOR-FILE
>
>> (either user or system environment variables)
>
>> I think I want ALTERNATE_EDITOR=c:\emacs\bin\runemacs --debug-init
>> but I'm not sure. Can runemacs.exe take switches like emacs.exe?  What
>> EMACS_SERVER_FILE should be set to I don't know.
>
> runemacs.exe passes its command-line to emacs.exe, so command line switches
> should work.
>
> Don't set EMACS_SERVER_FILE at all unless you customized server-name in
> Emacs.  The error message does not explicitly state it, but you only need to
> do one of the things it is suggesting to resolve the problem of emacsclient
> not communicating with emacs. ALTERNATE_EDITOR will always work,
> EMACS_SERVER_FILE will work if a different server-name is the cause of the
> problem.

Thanks Eli and Jason. I did have (server-start) in .emacs but it was
last statement, so if Emacs bailed out of loading .emacs before end, it
wouldn't have interpreted that form. There was an abort prompt for
missing .org file in *Messages* buffer right at session start. I assumed
that error wasn't fatal for .emacs.

I guess if I did use EMACS_SERVER_FILE it would have to be the default:

 c:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\.emacs.d\server\server

Anyway it seems to work now except for associating Emacs with files with
no extensions. Is this something that can be set without going into
registry? If the OS hides extensions, Emacs won't try to load an .exe
file as if it were a bare filename, would it? I couldn't get anything to
work using assoc and ftype in the black doscommand window either.

Ed