Re: What's needed in .emacs on w32 build to send bug report thru the *ma

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: What's needed in .emacs on w32 build to send bug report thru the *mail-to- address@hidden* buffer
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:56:16 -0500

> Hi Ed,

Thanks, William. If you have time, have a look at some additional
queries below.

> "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> Thanks, William. I will reread that info section before I try to mail
>> through Emacs again. I'm sure that the port assignment is at least part
>> of the problem. My Tbird client is using port 995 on pop.gmail.com
>> server for TLS and 465 for outgoing smtp. This is the relevant section
>> in .emacs:
>>

>> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
>> (setq smtpmail-local-domain "gmail.com") ;; was nil ???
>> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465) ;;; port assigned in Tbird outgoing ;;;
>> server (smtp)
>> (load-library "smtpmail")
>
> `smtpmail-local-domain' does not need to be set.  (you do, however, need
> to set `smtpmail-smtp-server'.

O.K. I had already specified the default but now I added that one too
and deleted the line referring to local-domain.

>> (setenv "MAILHOST" "pop.gmail.com")
>> ;;; ^^ the above doesn't seem to change the w64 env as revealed by the
>> set command or in Control Panel > System
>
> That setting is not exported to your w64 environment.  It should be
> exported to anything run under Emacs, however.

That clears up that mystery.

>> My isp uses gmail for spam filtering and my normal email is not a
>> ...@gmail.com but one from my isp. If I wanted to point to port 995
>> instead of 25, where would that go in my .emacs?
>
> The exact line for the pop setting would depend on what mail client
> you're using (Rmail, Gnus, Mew, Wanderlust, etc.).  smtpmail.el only
> handles the outgoing end of things; it's modular and can be used with
> many different Elisp programs for *reading* the mail.
>
>> I thought mta's were like postfix, exim, etc.
>
> Yes, those are big sophisticated MTAs.  There are also simpler examples,
> such as msmtp, nullmailer, etc. that are strictly to forward outgoing
> messages to an SMTP server.  For submission of outgoing mail, MTAs of
> both kinds provide a replacement for the (now deprecated) "sendmail"
> program, which is what I was talking about there.  Emacs can leverage
> that, just as other mailers like Mutt do.

For my purposes, I think my MUA is Mozilla Thunderbird (what this is
sent through). Is that inappropriate terminology? Isn't the MTA just
built into that?

>> I tried to get gnus working quite a while ago but gave up due to the
>> steep learning curve. I still have this Gnu's relevant stuff in my
>> .emacs but unfortunately I don't understand it (especially where
>> load-library should be called):
>>
>> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>>  '(
>>    ((message-news-p)
>>     (address "btraven@nihilo.net") ;; bogus address
>>     (name "B.T. Raven"))
>>    ((message-mail-p)
>>     (address "e@s.net")
>>     (name "Ed C.")) ) )
>>
>> (setq user-full-name "Ed C.")
>> (setq user-mail-address "e@s.net")
>>
>> (setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
>>     '("e@s.net") rmail-pop-password-required t)
>> (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
>> (load-library "message")
>> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>
> This snippet is a somewhat confusing hybrid of setting up Rmail and
> setting up Gnus.  It doesn't look quite complete for either. :)
>
> The placement of the library load for message is not especially
> important.  In fact, here (Gnus 5.13/Emacs 24.2.1 on Debian GNU/Linux),
> I never explicitly load message in my .emacs.  (It does already have
> some autoloads in your site init file, since message is part of the
> default Emacs distribution).

I am still on ver 23.3 and I don't think I ever used a site init file.
Everything's in .emacs

> For a setup like this, using POP, you might look at this as a basis and
> make modifications to your local setup as needed:
> http://eschulte.me/emacs24-starter-kit/starter-kit-gnus.html

Thanks for this. It seems to be geared more to a Linux box though. For
example what's "config" at the beginning of this code under Gmail Setup
at the above link?:

(let ((email (second (first config)))
      (passwd (second (second config))))

Also, what is called here "your-gmail-email-address" doesn't include
"gmail;" it's just my isp assigned email that uses the pop.gmail.com and
smtp.gmail.com servers. Does the fact that I'm not using Emacs on Linux
require some tweaking here?

> Hope this clarifies some things,

It certainly indicates that gnus is over my head. I think I had rmail
working once at least for test purposes. I'll try that again. It should
be good enough to send bug and documentation typo reports. Thanks again.

Ed