RE: Invalid tags table

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Invalid tags table
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:25:30 -0800

> > 2. `M-x debug-on-entry visit-tags-table-buffer'
>
> I tried this first, since I have quite a lot of customisation files.
>
> That was a great tip, I wasn't even aware of this option, and
> it helped me to figure out...  Now it works. Thanks a lot.

You're welcome, and I'm glad it was so easy.

In general, however, I recommend the other option I mentioned: bisect your init
file - regardless of how big your init file is or how much it loads.

Binary search is your friend.  The difference between handling an init file that
is 32 times bigger (and that's a lot) is only 5 more bisections.  It really
doesn't take long.

We humans tend to entertain multiple possibilities when troubleshooting ('cause
we think we're so smart, I guess, and we like to play detective).  And
especially when you have a big init file, that means trying to juggle lots of
possibilities at the same time.

Sticking blindly to a binary search means not even considering half, then 3/4,
then 7/8,... of those possibilities.  Not even considering.  Not even thinking.
Pure thoughtless magic.

Yeah, sometimes it can help to combine a little thought with blind search.  But
sometimes that can lead you astray as well.