Re: read user input in compilation buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: read user input in compilation buffer
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:16:07 -0500

> Now I understand that, there are some emacs-pry integrations out there, but
> I want something simple, something that will simply let me type things in
> the buffer when user input is required, in compile buffer.

You can ask compile to run the process in a comint buffer.
And you can also write a little function that lets you send text to
the process.  Such as:

   (defun my-send-string-to-process (string)
     (interactive (list (read-string "Input: ")))
     (process-send-string (get-buffer-process) (concat string "\n")))

If such user-input is only needed occasionally, it may be simpler to M-x
my-send-string-to-process RET then to configure your compilation command to
always use comint.

        Stefan