Re: Mouse cut moves point

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Mouse cut moves point
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 19:16:15 -0700

Bob Proulx wrote:
> I think maybe if I create a new function and save-excursion and have
> it call mouse-set-region in order to update the kill-ring and then
> bind this new function to drag-mouse-1 instead then after a mouse drag
> cut to set the kill-ring I could have it return to the previous
> location of the point.

This does 90% of what I want.

(defun mouse-drag-region-no-move-point (start-event)
  "Calls mouse-drag-region but without moving the point."
  (interactive "e")
  (save-excursion (mouse-drag-region start-event)))

(global-set-key [down-mouse-1] 'mouse-drag-region-no-move-point)

Yay!  This is a significant improvement for me.  Working with
double-click for words and tripple-click for lines would be nice but
more complicated.

Bob