Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem

From: Fred Krogh
Subject: Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 15:15:51 -0800

On 01/06/2013 02:41 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 06.01.2013 um 22:52 schrieb Fred Krogh:

I'm running TeXLive on a gentoo linux system.

You might also like to check the texmf.cnf file. Could be that TeX is set up
incorrectly. Look for file_line_error_style! And better correct the value in
it's local copy, containing only the local changes from the defaults. (Because
otherwise your change might be removed by a TeX update.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                - Groucho Marx

Thanks, this looked like a really good suggestion. So I found /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf and I had no /etc/texmf.cnf. Following instructions I created the file /etc/texmf.cnf and put the following into it.

% Control file:line:error style messages.
file_line_error_style = t

since the /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf had that line with f where I put a t at the end of the line. I expected this to work, but it behaves the same way. This being gentoo, I looked for the package this file belongs to, "equery b /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf", and no package seems to own the file. (I was going to reinstall whatever package claimed the file.) On a (second) guess I reinstalled auctex, and that changed the time stamp on the file even though that file is not listed as belonging to auctex??

So I am very open to further suggestions.