'n' doesn't work when using ediff -- an ediff beginners's quesstion

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: 'n' doesn't work when using ediff -- an ediff beginners's quesstion
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:38:03 +0000 (UTC)

This has got to be an utter beginners' question.  I've been using emacs
for years, bot not ediff, and I must be doing something wrong with ediff.

ediff is started from monotone, my revision management system when its
automatic merge mechanisms are not sufficient.  I gather this kind of
thing is the principal use for ediff.

I'm running everything through a terminal emulator running ssh between
two Debian Linux systems.  I get a text-mode XEmacs.

It has five panels -- and A and B for the files to be merged, a C for the
merged file, an Ediff control panel (containing the line "Type ? for
help", and the usual single-line command-entry line at the bottom (the
place where ctl X ctl F would expect to be given a file name.

When the Ediff control panel is the current buffer, I type 'n' and get
the message (in that bottom  line):

  No such coding system: emacs-internal

By the way, space gives me the same message.  'p' and 'P' both tell me
"At beginning of the difference list", which is reasonable, and 'v' and
'V' both scroll as expected, in opposite directions.

What could I possibly be doing wrong?

- hendrik