What is keyboard-local?

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: What is keyboard-local?
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 21:15:54 +0800

In the docstring of the variable `key-translation-map':

  This keymap works like `function-key-map', but comes after that,
  and its non-prefix bindings override ordinary bindings.
  Another difference is that it is global rather than keyboard-local.

What does the "keyboard-local" mean here?  I have searched the Emacs manuals,
Emacs FAQ, and the archive of this newsgroup, but I don't find anything useful.
 Can anybody help?  Thanks.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao