Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:30:34 +0200

Am 12.05.2013 um 00:32 schrieb Jai Dayal:

> so if
> you're not willing to do a little extra work and expect me to prove the
> most basic trivial things, I'm going to ask you to put something on the
> line, i.e., when I show you Vim's calculus plugins, you never post on this
> mailing list again.  deal?

Vi has an interface to shell level: :!. This way you can use expr, bc, or dc to
calculate something for vi – or use a GNU Emacs script for something less
comprehensible…

A bit different is :!emacs -nw <RET> – now you are in GNU Emacs, in terminal,
as the subject announces, and can forget that you were in vi before and now are
not that limited. You can even files on some remote host! No plugin necessary.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the entire
catalogue.
                –  Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Consumer's Guide, 1897