Re: What do I do after installing csv-mode with elpa?

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: What do I do after installing csv-mode with elpa?
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 15:05:09 -0400

Hi Brian,

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM, bsamek <brian.samek@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed csv-mode with 'M-x list-packages' and typing 'i x' at
> csv-mode. It's now listed as installed. However, it's not available with
> 'M-x csv-mode'. Is there an ELPA-specific way of making an installed package
> available that I'm missing? The variable package-enable-at-startup is t.

Looks like 1.5.0 (which is the version I get when installing csv-mode
from package.el) has a coding error. Unbalanced parens at line 1134.
My package install showed that with error text like:

    Compiling file …/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.50/csv-mode-pkg.el at
Sun May 12 14:58:58 2013
    Entering directory `…/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.50/'
    Error: Unmatched bracket or quote

Which yours may or may not have done as well.

Anyway, this is after the mode definition in `csv-mode.el` so while
there's definitely something wrong with that file, I am still able to
find a `.csv` file and have it automatically load up csv mode.
Obviously functionality defined after the coding error will not work
as it won't have loaded.

Contact the maintainer or maybe open a patch up? Should be an easy fix.

Hope this points you down the right path!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/