Re: Display the key bindings on the screen

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: Display the key bindings on the screen
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:55:54 -0400

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM, marc tfardy <tfardy@tfardoland.net> wrote:
> I plan a Emacs video tutorial. For better key chords visualisation I would
> like to display the pressed keys on the screen (in a window or in a small
> separate frame). This means: when I type some key combination that is bound
> to a Emacs lisp function - or this keys are a prefix - these keys are
> displayed on the screen and are further normally processed. Think of
> something like key visualisation in this video:
> https://tutsplus.com/lesson/the-command-palette/
> but not as a separate software, but a part of Emacs. This could could be an
> advantage for extension, e.g. displaying of the command name.
>
> Is there any package that cover this functionality?

[vimgolf-minor-mode][] does most of this, but not in a way that you'd
directly like. I've been meaning to rip out the key-recording part of
it into something separate as I've wanted it enough times in other
places that I think it would be useful as a composable library. You
might be interested in doing that.

Other than that, I don't know what your platform is, but I used
[KeyCastr][] to great effect in my own [VimGolf in Emacs Series][]. I
think there are things like that for every major platform. Might
consider using that even though it won't do everything you want it to
do. Better to ship something than nothing.

[vimgolf-minor-mode]: https://github.com/igrigorik/vimgolf/tree/master/emacs
[KeyCastr]: http://download.cnet.com/KeyCastr/3000-2075_4-125977.html
[VimGolf in Emacs Series]: http://blog.twonegatives.com/tagged/vimgolf/

--