Re: What should I do when building Emacs again with different configure

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: What should I do when building Emacs again with different configure options?
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:19:02 +0200

() Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com>
() Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:33:33 +0800

   I've thought another way to describe it: "./configure
   --your-different-option" before my last post, but IMO the previous
   paragraph has stated this very clearly:

     "If you want to build Emacs again with different configure options,
     first clean the source directories:"

   It already implies that we _need_ different configure option(s), so
   we don't need the second extra line.  What's your opinion?

I have two minds (at the moment :-D).

- Towards minimalism (i.e., providing only what is needed), the indented
  block can be completely eliminated.

     If you want to build Emacs again with different configure options,
     first clean the source directories with "make distclean".

- Towards parallelism (i.e., providing a consistent patter for every
  pitter), the second line line of the indented block can be as you
  suggest:

            ./configure --your-different-option

  However, i would use square braces as a further syntactical hint.
  (Who knows, someone might try the literal "--your-different-option"!)

The latter appeals to at-rest aesthetics, while the former, in-motion.
Both get the job done (as does removing "./configure", i suppose, which
basically means: what i think is not as important as what you do).

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502