Re: Simple Emacs for rescue or quick edits?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Simple Emacs for rescue or quick edits?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 00:40:13 +0200

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> Sometime I need quick small editor. I maintain (in ~/.bashrc):
>
>   alias e=emacsclient -a emacs -n
>
> for most cases it's enough.
>
> But in case of rescue and EDITOR env var running Emacs is not convenient.

Why wouldn't it?  I use enw:

$ cat > ~/bin/enw <<EOF
#!/bin/bash
exec emacs -q -nw "$@"
EOF
$ chmod 755 ~/bin/enw
$ export EDITOR=enw
$ export VISUAL=enw

alias e='emacs -q -nw' # works too.

for quick edits.   And when I say quick, I mean quick: almost 1/4 the
boot time of vim:

[pjb@kuiper :0.0 ~]$ time echo :q |vim
real    0m2.027s
user    0m0.016s
sys     0m0.008s

[pjb@kuiper :0.0 ~]$ time emacs -q -nw -e 'kill-emacs'
real    0m0.573s
user    0m0.528s
sys     0m0.040s

> Any suggestions?

Use emacs, always emacs.

You know you've been lisping too long when you see a recent picture of George
Lucas and think "Wait, I thought John McCarthy was dead!" -- Dalek_Baldwin