Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 19:51:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> You need to start Emacs with 'emacs -nw' (for
>> --no-window-system). They changed the default behaviour a
>> couple of versions back, so now you get them same from typing
>> 'emacs' in a terminal, as clicking an Emacs icon in your GNOME,
>> KDE, or whatever desktop suite: and what you get is a *new*
>> windows with the Emacs with the WM menus, the buttons, etc.
>
> There was never such a change, not recently anyway.

There *was* such a change, I know this, because I read it in a
recent book on Linux and shell programming - a big, white book
with all the tools alphabetically, and with a big section on Emacs
(and one on vim - no bias!). I don't have that book here, and I
don't remember the name of the sole writer (cool guy), but I'll
check it out and get back to you. It doesn't really matter, I
guess, but I like this kind of facts. And perhaps you do, as well.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573