Re: Declaring a local dynamic variable?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Declaring a local dynamic variable?
Date: 23 Sep 2013 22:14:08 GMT

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article
> <slrnl40qtk.31s.joostkremers@j.kremers4.news.arnhem.chello.nl>,
>  Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Well, it would be great if the byte compiler could distinguish between
>> the two cases, but apparently it's not. So I guess the question comes
>> down to how easy/difficult would it be to implement a compiler that can?
>
> On what basis would it distinguish them? Search all packages to see if
> any of them declare the variable?

I realise that's a rhetorical question, but that wouldn't be a very good
idea. Suppose you mistype a local variable and some package happens to
define a dynamic variable with the misspelled name...

Personally, I'd prefer to declare such a variable explicitly, not only
because of the compiler but also because it tells a human reading the
code that they're looking at a dynamic variable.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)