Ordered font preferences

From: Rasmus
Subject: Ordered font preferences
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 15:39:39 +0200

Hi,

When I insert a unicode character that my main font doesn't feature
Emacs uses another font to display it.  However, I'm not happy with
the "randomness" of the choice of the font, as it often messes up the
height of the line, uses too small symbols, etc.

Thus, I would like Emacs to always prefer DejaVu as a fallback font
(i.e. the second choice after my system font).

I would prefer /not/ to specify any unicode ranges (e.g. 'symbol) or
anything but just specify

  ("most preferred font" "second most preferred font" ...).

or, alternatively, "ban" some fonts from being used.

So

   (set-fontset-font "fontset-default"  'symbol (font-spec :family "DejaVu Sans
Mono"))

is too "strong" here as it overwrites some glyphs from my main font.
I would rather not add each symbol manually. . .

I think I might be able to fontset, but I'm not sure if it will do as
desired.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
A page of history is worth a volume of logic