Re: doc-view stuck on same image

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view stuck on same image
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:10:02 +0200

harold.carr@gmail.com writes:

Hi Harold,

>     GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2, NS apple-appkit-1138.51)
> of 2013-03-31 on tenseven-slave.macports.org
>
> when I use doc-view (automatically) when visiting *.pdf, *.tiff, *.ps,
> etc., files it either:
>
> - keeps showing me the same image (no matter what page or file I visit)
>   - usual the image show in the *GNU Emacs* buffer

That's really strange.  I wonder how that can happen.  Or well, there's
a theoretical possibility that two different files with the same name
and accidentally identical md5sums are treated as identical by doc-view.
But that's really almost impossible, and it cannot happen if the files
have different names.

> - starts using HIGH CPU doing what?  - I finally just kill it

That might be the conversion form PDF (or whatever) to PNG images which
would be normal.  But that shouldn't be slower than with previous emacs
versions.  Quite contrary, if you have mupdf installed, it should be
much faster instead.

Or wait: if it was be the normal conversion process, then the high CPU
load would come from ghostscript, mudraw, libre/openoffice etc., but not
from the emacs process itself...

> It used to work fast and fine.  Unfortunately I do not know what I did
> differently (i.e., emacs version, config settings) when this started
> happening.
>
> Any ideas?

That's really hard to guess.  The very first thing you should try is to
start emacs with "emacs -Q" and then opening some PDF file.  If it works
then, something's broken with your configuration.

Bye,
Tassilo