X keyboard settings (was keyboard macro)

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: X keyboard settings (was keyboard macro)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:48:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, October 21, 2013 11:47:30 PM UTC+5:30, Yuri Khan wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Christof Spitz  wrote:
>
> > I have to write special characters for transliteration of a non-european
> > language (devanagari) in Emacs.

> It never ceases to amaze me how far people are willing to go just to
> avoid using an appropriate OS-level keyboard layout. In your case,
> probably, the command “setxkbmap -layout "us,in" -variant ",deva"
> -options "grp:caps_toggle,grp_led:caps"” will help a lot.

Hey its great to hear of this!
Ive been trying to put together something for the new gnu apl that has just
been released.
The author gives an xmodmap that works for apl but makes emacs close to
unusable -- Alt-x becomes an Apl char.  However all my attempts at wrapping my
head round xmodmap have failed so far.
Can setxkbmap replace xmodmap?

So far I found xkeycaps which seems to be such a replacement. When I use it and
try to save the map it segfaults :-(