Re: Precompiled Emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Precompiled Emacs
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 20:52:39 +0100

Am 03.11.2013 um 12:56 schrieb Johan Andersson:

> First off, it seems that I want to build this Emacs on an amd64
> architecture? From what I understand it is backwards compatible with x86,
> hence will cover most systems.

The name "amd64" is obviously based on 64-bit wide words. The "x86"
architecture was supporting 8-bit systems. So I would assume that an x86
application could possibly run on an amd64 system, not otherwise.

> I tried it out and when I moved the build to another system, I got the
> error that libtiff5.so was not found. So I guess I can build with the
> option "--without-tiff". But I guess this is only one of few of these
> issues I will run into…

You have two more options: ImageMagick and static libraries.

> How do I best go about this to make it work on most systems?

Make it a complete virtual system, something like those system images you can
download from VMware. That way you don't have to make any assumptions of the
target platforms, all is included, even the batteries.

--
Greetings

  Pete

                                – Schopenhauer