Re: two question about sql-mode

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: two question about sql-mode
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 08:47:09 +0100

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> I've two questions about the sql mode.
> The first one is that onn my linux box I've Oracle SQL Developer, but
> not sqlplus, and when I try to connect to an oracle database but of
> course I got a "no sqlplus found" error, and therefore I would like to
> know if it is possible to use the sqldeveloper as intermediate library
> to connect thru Emacs, and if someone can point me to the right
> configuration.

Looking at the docs, it seems that SQL Developer has a GUI. SQL Mode,
like all inferior modes, needs to communicate with the subprocess using
stdin and stdout. I assume this will not work.
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35137_01/appdev.32/e35117/intro.htm#CEGGHEFC

> The second is about PostgreSQL: if I get it right it seems that C-c
> C-c (send-paragraph) works only for the sqli buffer, that is for
> Oracle. Is there any way to use something similar via libpq?

The same applies here. SQL Mode uses stdin and stdout to communicate.
Using a vendor-specific library would require a totally different
approach.

There is an alternative, however:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PostgreSQL has "Code by EricMarsden for a
socket-level elisp interface to PostgreSQL."